Tuesday 16 August 2011

Don't dream it, be it

"I loved your memo..."
         It was a MISSION STATEMENT.


I’ve been thinking lately, as one tends to, about my future. I feel like it’s every other day someone asks me “what’s the plan?” or “where are you going?”. Is it that I hate people referring to the next 60 years of my life like a day-trip to the beach, or is it that I hate confronting the circumstantially-infinite though temporally-transient abyss? I have pipedreams and a bucket list of sorts but to be honest, no strategy in gear. The industry I want to work in is like any other – show up on time, put in many hours, be professional, make impressions and try to move up. There is also the hint of that right-time, right-place, right-people kind of luck. Truth is, I dabble too much and aimlessly. If I want to be a writer, why am I working in sound and AD roles? Money – yes. Contacts – yes. Experience – aye aye, Captain. It’s also fun and even if I fall gravely ill tomorrow without having made my TV pilot or whatever, I know I’ve been enjoying myself. But really, it’s not a pure-ecstasy kind of enjoyment. It’s procrastination.
I feel a pressure or maybe it’s an impatience, to be writing professionally and successfully right now. How can I expect this today let alone (metaphorical) tomorrow when I’m dilly-dallying? Doing sound jobs is fair enough, but I’m barely barking up the right bush. What I should do is lock myself into writing two hours or two thousand words every day – whatever comes first. Skip the usual frivolities and really, actively strive to fulfil this dream of mine. Not only is it good advice but a beautiful song by Tim Curry’s Frankenfurter: Don’t dream it, be it. Hell yeah, I can be stuck for ideas but from considering and extrapolating crappy ideas, out will pour new and possibly good ideas. Develop my craft, hone a style, get feedback. Also stop neglecting this dear blog.
I’m not going to set goals against a timeline because I wouldn’t take them seriously. Instead, I am going to swear a wholehearted vow into the Blogiverse and that is I’m going to write, and write and write and write and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment